Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Women Standing

What did you do for your mother for Mother's Day?

In the run up to that guilt based retail marketing hook, I bet you were out there at the last minute bumping hips with the crowd to find a gift for the moms in your life - diamonds for her ears or was it diamond bits for her new power drill? Whatever you decided or even if you forgot, there is still one more powerful gift you can give to her any day of the week that will cost you nothing more than a few minutes of your time.

Do a stand for peace. Many of us are old enough to remember the Love-ins of the 1960’s. The focus was the war in Viet Nam. The idea was for people of the same intention to gather in the same place and create an energy field of love that would reverberate throughout the world. Of course, many folks took the “love-in” a bit too literally and the result was the love child. Interestingly, those love children are, today, mothers and fathers who are trembling over the safety of their military children in the wars in Iraq and elsewhere.

It is easy to feel powerless to bring about peace in the face of bad doings. But we are powerful if each of us decides that we are. We can take a stand for peace. I recently heard about a group in Maine who started Women Standing. The idea is to take an hour, five minutes, whatever you decide and stand still and silently with other women in some public space to send out a powerful vibration of peace.

I'm making it a habit for myself to do once a week on a Sunday. All it takes is 5 minutes or as long as you wish. I plan to link hands with friends and friends-to-be and think and say to myself “Today peace spreads in the world.” Share your message simply and silently with a sign “Women Standing for Peace.” The beauty of this gift is you can do it any day of the week, any time of the day, any place where you are. Make a summer ritual of it and plan every Sunday at the same time, the same or a different place.

If you’d like to learn more about the peace producing activities you can visit www.Peacebridges.org

I love what Mother Theresa is quoted as saying: “I was once asked why I don't participate in anti-war demonstrations. I said that I will never do that, but as soon as you have a pro-peace rally, I'll be there.” Be there.

Uplift your space and spirit!

Peace!

No comments: